Monday 8 December 2008

Bloody 20... 30... 40... 50, sweety!

With my birthday coming up (tomorrow!!!), age has been an issue under focus and discussion too regularly for my liking lately. I don't have an issue with it myself, I'm still young, but I have many friends and family members who flap about approaching that certain personal hurdle - be it 20, 30, 40 or 50.

That's where I come to a brilliant, classic comedy series - Absolutely Fabulous. The way they focus on the problems and dilemmas of middle-aged women is spot-on and hilarious.

Regarding the issues some people have with age, I have picked out one of my favourite episodes, episode five of the first series called "Birthday", where Edina, played by Jennifer Saunders, turns "bloody 40". Her daughter Saffron, played by Julia Sawalha, does her best to organise a nice birthday for her mother. She has invited and prepared everything for family and friends, just for Eddie to blow them off, not wanting to acknowledge her age. Patsy, played by Joanna Lumley, joins her friend Eddie in her age grief but of course makes the most of it, especially the drinks, at the same time.


(posted by abfab07 January 24, 2007)

You could have a case of overacting against Saunders and Lumley - but that is what makes the show what it is. It fulfills what comedy is there for, taking a situation with issues everybody knows and everybody has gone or will go through in one way or the other and exaggerating and making the best and funniest of it with Saunders and Lumley at their best. 

No comments: