Friday 12 December 2008

My First Live Stand Up

I must admit that before this week I had never watched a stand up performance from a comedian either live or on DVD. But when writing this blog I felt that I should try to embrace all aspects of comedy so last night I sat down and watched Ricky Gervais Politics on DVD.

I have never been a great fan of Ricky Gervais type of comedy, from
The Office to Extras, the style of comedy just does not appeal to me. So when I started to watch his performance I was sceptical over whether I would enjoy it. 

From the opening video Gervais makes jokes about controversial topics, from sweatshops to sex and orphans. 

One reviewer said "Politics is essentially an excuse for Gervais to poke fun at any target that takes his fancy in the most politically incorrect way he can."

Gervais talked a lot about his childhood and one of the more funny parts of the performance was when Gervais talked about fables. He questioned the morals of stories like Jack and Jill and The Boy who cried, where he claimed the moral of the story is not to tell the same lie twice.    
At times his jokes are funny and make me smile but whilst watching the DVD I did not laugh out loud. Even though I do have criticisms of Gervais' Politics I must admit that he bravely takes serious and risky topics and makes them funny.   

After reflecting on my first live stand up I was neither disappointed or impressed, it was pretty much what I expected. Though at times I found Gervais funny in the future I wouldn't watch or pay to see live stand up comedy on a regular occasion. I am still not a fan of stand up comedy. 

(Image from bbc.co.uk)

No comments: